[Scale-planning] Free Software Representation at SCaLE

Steve M Bibayoff bibayoff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 22:36:30 PST 2012

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Lei Zhang <leiz at ucla.edu> wrote:

> In my mind, Free Software is a strict subset of Open Source software,

They are different sets, but tend to encompass the same goals,. This
link has been pointed out already:
"Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software"
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

And I currently can't find where ESR said he will do the exact
opposite of RMS (ESR won't talk about the Free Software Movement, as
he is in the OpenSource Movement).

> I did not see their booths this year. I'm not in charge of the booth,
> but I doubt SCALE would tell the FSF they can't come. The more likely
> reason is the FSF did not send people to man their booth this year.
> One volunteer I know from the FSF was here, but that person no longer
> works for the FSF.

If you are talking about me, I never worked for the FSF, but the FSF
did have a booth (thank you Garrett and SCALE) and I was there. There
was 2 former employee's of the FSF that was at SCALE, so maybe you
where thinking about them.

The FSF does have a, imho, a strange policy about not being listed at
a conference that Linux and no "Free" in it's title. Maybe that was
the reason the FSF was missed. If you really want to know why that
policy is in place, I'll let you know.

> Since I believe FS is a strict subset of OSS, I doubt "people in the OSS
> camp" would be offended by FS.

See above comment about ESR. Will try to find that link tomorrow.

Again, imho, I think this original question could have been asked with
a little more tack.

m2c

Steve "the FSF volunteer"