[Scale-planning] Free Software Representation at SCaLE

Lei Zhang leiz at ucla.edu
Tue Jan 24 22:50:51 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:09:50PM -0800, Mark Holmquist wrote:
> Certainly there are very few considerations of the FSF at the
> conference, from what I've seen--official Twitter channel? iPhone apps?
> No GNU in the name? Flash videos for the streams (unverified)? Once
> again, start encouraging agnostic terms (Free/Libre/Open Source, for
> example), then maybe work into compromises that service everyone's
> needs. Maybe one day, this conference can truly represent digital
> freedom, but today, I'd settle for making everyone comfortable.

Can you explain what's wrong from a FS person's POV with using Twitter
as one of many communication channels used by SCALE to get its word
out? And having an iPhone app as well as an Android app?

When I came up with the name SCALE, I thought it sounded better than
SCAGLE.

Some of our videos in previous years are indeed served via Flash. At
the time, there weren't many good alternatives to streaming video, so
we did what's practical. Going forward, we certainly will try to make
videos available via HTML5 video.