[Scale-planning] Open Source in Education Track (was Re: About the Open Data Track)

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 5 02:05:41 UTC 2016

Hi Folks….
A message I sent earlier today went out with the wrong email address so I will paste it into this one at the bottom.
Meanwhile, Kenneth… why don't we poll some of the educators and parents we know and see what topics they would like to have at OSSIE/SCaLE? Then we can take the ones that are favorites and that are feasable and work from there.
One day would probably be OK. I just suggested more because a college might require it for credit. But, perhaps attending some other sessions on other days would be acceptable to them too. We will have to see. Kenneth, do you have any contacts at Trade Tech or ELAC? I can try to see what school CUE-LA has used in the past for this sort of thing.
Here's my earlier message, pasted in:
---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>To: SCALE Planning List <scale-planning at lists.linuxfests.org>Cc: Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 11:04:18 -0700Subject: RE: [Scale-planning] Open Source in Education Track OSSIE for 2017Thanks for reaching out to Steve Hargadon, Kenneth! He is very active in ed-tech events and probably will have some good ideas for us. I am not too sure about his interest in OSSIE. But, maybe he will be on board with the idea.
Also, thanks for the great list of links… I will read them over in the next day or two. I am currently immersed in "Camp Grandma and Grandma" with our 5-year-old granddaughter. She is pretty demanding of our time! I have introduced her to ScratchJr and that does keep her occupied for a little while.
If we do decide to include an international focus, we will need to find a way to make it attractive to local folks as well. Perhaps Steve could help us have some online sharing from people in other countries… that is the sort of thing he does very well.
More later when I have had a chance to follow up on your links.
One more thing… CUE used to have an open source track… they hid it in a back room, but I may be able to get the names of some recent presenters if they are still including it. A few years back there was one person in charge of ed-tech in the Newhall school district but I don't know if he is still there or not. We could check. He managed to get the district to use Moodle instead of BlackBoard when they were pretty much the only games in town. Now there are a lot of other options. I wonder what he would recommend today?