[Scale-planning] This Week in SCALE - Week of May 2nd

SCALE Planning List scale-planning at lists.linuxfests.org
Sun May 8 22:37:40 PDT 2016

Hello,

As we mentioned in our update a few weeks ago, we are working to increase
the openness of SCALE planning.  With that in mind I’m going to try to send
at least bi-weekly updates here on progress of our various projects.
Hopefully the need for this will be obviated once the issues with mailing
list are fixed and more teams are posting here directly.

Regards,

Regards,
Ilan Rabinovitch
Conference Chair
Southern California Linux Expo
877-831-2569 x110 Voice
818-442-1865 Mobile
ilan at socallinuxexpo.org Email
OSCONBooth

The SCALE team will be exhibiting at OSCON in collaboration with other
LinuxFests.org events such as TXLF and SEAGL. We will also be sharing space
with LinuxFest NorthWest.  If you would like to help with producing flyers,
or with staffing the booth please let us know! OSCON will be held in Austin
May 16-19, 2016.
Community Leadership Summit

LinuxFests’s newest member program, the Community Leadership Summit
<http://www.communityleadershipsummit.com> will be held May 14-15, 2016
leading in to OSCON.  Many SCALE team members will be present, if you are
in the area please consider joining us as well.
WebsiteOpen Source Website Code

Ron has posted all our drupal code to github
<https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/scale-drupal> as agreed to in the
post-con meeting on 4/16.  If you have experience with Drupal or PHP
development, we invite you to join the scale-webdev team.
Prep Call For Papers

Ron has reset the CFP system and is looking for feedback. If you’d like to
help test it out, please check the open github issue.
<https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/SCALE-Planning/issues/190>
SCALE 15x ProgramCall for Papers

Shyam is currently working on writing our 2017 call for papers. Our goal is
to launch it in mid May, ahead of OSCON but we may be delayed as we are
still working on recruiting leads for many of the tracks.
UpSCALE

Jason Hibbets and the OpenSource.com team have expressed interest in
producing the SCALE lightning talks program in 2017.  Hannah Anderson and
Jason are working on what the new format will look like, we expect to have
further updates closer to SCALE.  We are excited to welcome Jason and his
colleagues to the SCALE planning team.  If you would like to participate as
well, please reach out to Hannah.
TechActUSA Hand Off

Josh Hoblitt, Ev Batey and Bala attended a meeting with Stu Sheldon
(ActUSA) to complete a services handoff. Bala has posted notes to the tech
list.
Mail Migration

The INFRA sub-team completed the migration of email from ActUSA’s servers
to Google Apps for Nonprofits.  If you are having trouble accessing your
SCALE email account for some reason please let us know by filing a ticket
in github or emailing Josh Hobllit, Bala or Ilan.
DNS

DNS for linuxfests.org/com/net and socallinuxexpo.org/com/net have been
migrated from ActUSA to Amazon Web Services’s Route53.  The code used for
this migration is available on github
<https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/scale-dns/>. If you would like to
contribute to this or other SCALE infra projects we welcome your pull
requests!

We are aware that as a result of this migration SCALE DNS services are now
IPv4 only.  This is expected to be temporary only, and was necessary to
allow us to regain control of DNS to unblock our migration of mail and
other services. The INFRA team is committed to ensuring that SCALE services
continue to be available via both IPv4 and IPv6, we are currently
evaluating long term DNS solutions.
Mailing Lists and Wiki

We have not yet begun work on migrating mailman or phplist to alternate
providers. We are currently evaluating a number of infrastructure
providers.  We promised to fix the settings on scale-planning to not strip
FROM addresses, bounce messages when emails are rejected, as well as allow
participation from all ISPs regardless of DMARC policy.  Delivery on these
promises is blocked on migration.  We expect to have this done before the
end of May.
Website

Our websites remain at ActUSA until a new infrastructure provider has been
selected.  However, we have begun preparing automation tooling for
deploying our web services. To this end, Ron Golan has made our drupal code
available in a git repository
<https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/scale-drupal>. The INFRA team has begun
developing chef recipes <https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/scale-chef> for
managing our web servers.  The goal is to build these such that they can be
tested locally in Vagrant.  If you have experience with Chef for
configuration management, I am sure that the team would be happy to have a
hand in further development.
Wiki

SCALE has historically maintained a private wiki for planning purposes. The
wiki was Mediawiki based.  The wiki remains online on ActUSA’s servers, but
we have begun the process of migrating it using mediawiki-to-markdown
<https://github.com/philipashlock/mediawiki-to-markdown>.  We are currently
working through some formatting issues, but expect to have the wiki ported
to Github later this week.  Want to lend a hand? Email
bala at socallinuxexpo.org
VOIP

SCALE has had a customer service line (+1-877-831-2569) for many years. The
DID is via by Teliax <http://www.teliax.com>, and was historically
terminated asterisk server maintained by ActUSA on our behalf.  While in
the past several SCALE staff members used it for inbound/outbound calls
with SIP or IAX soft phones, these days the majority of calls are forwarded
to individual’s cel phones. As such we are currently in discussion with
Teliax about moving to a pay-as-you-go hosted PBX service they now offer.
So far testing has been positive, but there is a caveat that we will need
to change our users’ extensions.  Current SCALE extensions are (3) digits,
but Teliax only supports 2 or 4 digit extensions.  Impact should be minor
but we’ll need to go back and reprint any business cards as well as update
our website.
Other Projects

We have a number of other pending infra projects. If you’d like to
participate please check our issue
<https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/scale-planning/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AINFRA>
queue for other areas you can lend a hand.