[Scale-planning] Announcement: Splitting the Tech team into two - Networks and Server Infrastructure

Hriday Balachandran bala at socallinuxexpo.org
Mon Nov 21 19:10:34 UTC 2016

Hello folks,

Over the past few months, there was been a lot of activity behind the
scenes in the tech channel to figure out the state of things and how to
move forward after the attrition of some of the key members. Before we go
further, I want to highlight some of the progress we have made in the last
few months :

1) We have moved the servers from ACTUSA to Rackspace.
2) We have moved the DNS to route53 (Amazon).
3) We have moved all the configuration of the servers to Chef, and
everything has been published in our public github channel (
https://github.com/socallinuxexpo).
4) Some work still remains on finalizing a network infrastructure model for
SCALE 15X. We had a tentative plan with Ubiquity gear, but that fell
through, so we are a little behind on this task.

These tasks look trivial when itemized in this manner, but for the several
of us that worked on these tasks, they were pretty daunting at first.

To that end, many of us have come to realize that while they are related,
the management of the server infrastructure and the network infrastructure
require vastly different skill sets. The former is a year long activity,
and the latter primarily activates a few weeks before the show and major
activity ends the day the show is done. Therefore, we have decided to split
the team into two - one for server infrastructure, and the other for
network infrastructure.

Phil D will take over the server infrastructure team, and I will let him
announce his key team members. I will continue to handle the network team
until we find a more permanent replacement.

As always, I welcome your comments. If you are interested in working with
Phil on the new team, please reach out to him at phil at socallinuxexpo.org

Thanks,

Bala