[Scale-planning] onsite data store

Christopher Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 19:31:41 UTC 2017

For future reference, a great work around for your filesystem pain is to
just write a tar or cpio file to raw disk. You treat it like it is a tape
drive.

No question that a network can be more convenient, but it tends to be less
foolproof. Transferring files to 30 machines puts 30x the strain on the
network, particularly with wifi, unless you use a multicast protocol like
UFTP (which adds complexity). So, for things like SCALE, I would recommend
planning for the scenario where the network isn't there; treat it like a
bonus if it does.

--Chris