[Scale-planning] onsite data store

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Mar 7 23:01:25 UTC 2017

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Christopher Smith wrote:

> No question that a network can be more convenient, but it tends to be less
> foolproof. Transferring files to 30 machines puts 30x the strain on the
> network, particularly with wifi, unless you use a multicast protocol like
> UFTP (which adds complexity).

multicast and wifi (especially encrypted wifi) don't mix well.

if you are going to need something like this, wired networks can work (although
many laptops require a dongle that people will forget to have with them) so USB
HD/DVD drive would be needed as well.

Historically we have wired up one room for wired network to every desk.

David Lang