[Scale-planning] OSSIE Stats

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 23:36:14 UTC 2017

Hi Bala (and all),

Our smallest OSSIE session had 24. The rest all ranged from 30-35, except the RPi one that was SRO!  I had wondered why we were put in such a huge room ... then I found out!

Most of the talks were top-notch and a couple of our speakers were really outstanding... Jim Klein (whom I had heard speak at a CUE conference about 10 years ago but had forgotten his name) and Dr. Sam Coleman who talked about his research on why some teachers use open source resources, some use proprietary, and some use none. He could also have done a great talk on the RPi but we already had Tom Calloway and Ruth Suehle for that one.

The discussions we got into during our very short Q & A were really good... deep and thoughtful. Too bad we had so little time for them!

There is a lot of interest in doing it next year so that a unit of upper division college credit could be offered for educators. I think now is the time to get started on that, so we will start exploring it. If we do decide to offer credit, we should consider going to some of the local CUE activities and talking it up. The national CUE conference in Palm Springs is next week so that is too soon to have anything ready. But, there are a lot of other events during the school year that we could visit and promote SCaLE 16X.

I'm going to start an online discussion about what we might consider for next year for the speakers that we had this year. If any of you would like to be included in the list... let me know. It will take me a few days to get it set up.

Caryl