[Scale-planning] SCALE 101 / helping new attendees

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Fri Mar 10 08:51:38 UTC 2017

On 03/09/2017 09:37 PM, Lei Zhang wrote:
> In another thread, Chris Smith said "A recurring theme I observed this
> year with people new to SCALE was that they weren't as aware of
> SCALE's offerings as one might hope."
>
> Should we make a "new to SCALE" guide on the website and link to it in
> the registration emails?
>
> Should we take 1-2 pages near the front of the printed program and put
> the "new to SCALE" guide there?
>
> Did anyone go to the SCALE 101 talk? [1] Was it useful? Should we have
> held it on Friday, instead or ran a second session on Friday?

Gonna answer these in reverse.

The SCALE 101 talk, like last year, was not well attended (about 15 people,
including those that filtered in late), but the panel / Q&A portion was
incredibly interactive, nearly everyone asked questions or commented, and
nearly all of them either stayed late to thank me or found me later to do so.

Ilan had a suggestion that we do this between the keynote and the first
session, in the keynote room. It's a good suggestion, but we'd probably have
to move the keynote slightly earlier to account for the panel, which I think
is the magic of it all (since I think the breaks are only half hour).

This would I think be more useful than stuff in the program which people don't
read as it is.

Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
 and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Seuss