[Scale-planning] Return of TNG Playground

Lan Dang ldangmlist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 14:21:46 UTC 2018

Hi all,

tl;dr If you are interested in helping out with TNG Playground, please let
me know and subscribe to the scale-kids mailing list.

We are going to have TNG Playground again this year, on Saturday, March
10th.  It will be similar in format to last year's event.  The goal is to
provide a hands-on activities room for the kids at SCALE.  Last year, most
of the kids were 7-14, but there were some younger kids and adults who also
participated.

Avni did a fantastic job of organizing it last year with Kids on Computers;
however she is unable to make it to SCALE this year.

This year, I am organizing it with the help of Vivienne Byrd from the  Los
Angeles Public Library.  Avni gave me a lot of info from last year and we
might still be able to borrow some computers from Kids on Computers.

We'll do our planning on scale-kids and I will set up a Google Drive with
notes.  I'm a bit swamped this week with work, but I'll post a link to the
Google Drive later.  If you're interested in helping out, let me know, and
please subscribe to the scale-kids mailing list.

About TNG Playground
-------------------------------
SCALE 15x TNG Playground: http://tinyurl.com/tngplayground

TNG Playground provides a place where the kids at SCALE can do hands-on,
self-guided activities at different stations or pods.

Each pod or station will have a station lead, who comes up with the content
for the pod and will set up the station.  The pods can be handed off to
day-of volunteers who  sign up for hourly shifts.

We will have 4-5 pods, and there will be 4 stations per pod, which allows
participation by 4-8 students per pod.

To support both newbies and older kids, we can have easy and hard
activities.  To make it fun for them, we will stamp a passport for them
when they complete a designated activity at a pod.  If they get stamps from
all pods, they can select a prize from the swag table.

Lan