[Scale-planning] Hands-on activities in the Expo hall?

Lan Dang ldangmlist at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 05:44:09 UTC 2018

Caryl, Kenneth

It's great that you want to work on this.  That is what I was hoping for.

I envisioned space at the other end of the Expo hall with a few large round
tables with power and either reliable wifi or wired connections.   Maybe
access to loaner computers and hardware like Arduinos, so things can be set
up ahead of time.

The adult-friendly activities should be fun or valuable enough to lure
people into the expo hall, but not require such a time commitment that
they'd need to make a choice about whether to attend a talk.   The key
would be that the activities are something people could just stop by,
participate, and leave.

The kid-friendly activities could be similar to what was done at TNG
Playground last year but I don't want to distract from TNG speaker track on
Saturday.  We could ramp things up on Sunday, maybe.

Ideas for activities: Scratch programming. Resume clinic.  Lockpicking.
Linux clinic.  Learn something with Jupyter Notebooks. Learn how to
solder.  Making LED flowers or wearable electronics.  A brief primer on
securing data privacy.  How to get started with GitHub.   Vim Adventures.
Maybe VR or AR experiences.

I recently had fun with JavaScript with this activity:
https://codeclubprojects.org/en-GB/webdev/pixel-art/

It'd be even better if we can pull in participation from the sponsor
booths.  It would allow them to interact with the attendees in a way they
may not be able to do at the booths due to booth arrangement or too short
of an interaction.  Maybe we could set aside a table that could be reserved
Birds of a Feather-style.

Lan