[Scale-planning] SCALE 2008 postmortem?

pixo pixo at linuxastronomy.org
Wed Feb 13 14:45:54 PST 2008

Hello people on the list,

I would like to express a few comments from a ".org" point of view.

when I first noticed the web site new design, it looks great and very
appealing, but I was also a little bit worry, SCALE could turn just like
another commercial show.

A few weeks before the show, I had some problem related to a pervious
accident, I almost canceled the show, even if I knew, I really could not
do that so close.

Two things happened, Volunteers in my group stepped in and helped me a
lot and SCALE people helped with dedication, upto the show time, by
making the loading and unloading of equipment as painless as possible.

I was also surprised by the fact vendors seemed to spend as much time
trying to scan badges, than describing their products, but it seemed to
always end-up in a good joke and in a very friendly way.

As a ".org", If I can present our "pet" project in such a relevant show,
it is probably because, Show organizers feel it is in relation to their
show and because they are commercial vendors participation.

I personaly enjoy the interraction between the mix of commercial and
".org" booths.
Every vendor I had some interaction with, have been very nice.

As a ".org" I also have for goal to please the organizers, who are
volunteers like us. I will do my best to not disapoint them,
This require work, many nights with little sleep, but the result is
always pleasing.

I checked the time on Saturday morning, when the show started, next time
I checked it, was on Sunday night when the show ended.
Our booth has been busy almost the whole time.

I feel SCALE 2008, was like a great wine. A wine that age very well and
we will talk a long time about it.
Keep it that way in the wine cellar, do not shake it to much and SCALE
2009 could be another great show. ;-)

Thank you to all the Vendors that helped to make this show happen for
little "pet" projects like ours and Thank you to all the organizers who
have done such a great job, behave very professionally without taking
out the great "volunteer" feeling.

Sorry for my poor english.

	Eugene Clement
	http://www.linuxastronomy.org/