[Scale-planning] Free Software Representation at SCaLE

Larry Cafiero larry at socallinuxexpo.org
Tue Jan 24 22:20:01 PST 2012

On 01/24/2012 09:50 PM, Lei Zhang wrote:
> I did not see their booths this year. I'm not in charge of the booth,
> but I doubt SCALE would tell the FSF they can't come. The more likely
> reason is the FSF did not send people to man their booth this year.
> One volunteer I know from the FSF was here, but that person no longer
> works for the FSF.

The FSF had a booth at SCALE 10X this year, as it has in past years. As
you mentioned earlier, Lei, Bradley Kuhn is a regular attendee and
presenter at SCALE.

Since I was mentioned in an earlier exchange, I think I'll reply.

Mark, I think you're way off base with your implications that we don't
include Free Software in SCALE. I think that Free Software is
represented as much as it chooses to be -- and I think it's incumbent on
those who advocate for Free Software to step up to the plate and submit
talks.

Someone from KDE mentioned earlier that they were asked to present. I'd
be interested to know who asked them, but they are right in one regard:
Everyone essentially is "asked" to speak at SCALE in the form of asking
anyone interested to submit proposals for talks. Some make it, some
don't. That's the way of the world.

Free/Open Source Software represents a wide range, and unless you
participate, you can't be a part of it. If you want to not attend SCALE
because you think we're excluding Free Software advocates, that's your
call. But that would make you the one being exclusionary, not us.

To address something you mention later -- I don't think it is in the
scope of a mailing list that is aimed at organizing and planning an expo
to discuss a more neutral term than FOSS that would suit your liking.
You may want to cast that line elsewhere.

Larry Cafiero / FSF Member No. 5030