[Scale-planning] Your Input needed!

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Mar 15 16:13:16 PDT 2013

begin Orv Beach quotation of Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 03:55:48PM -0700:
> >> Looking for suggestions for content. We already have:
> >>
> >> - samba (client & server)
> >> - NFS (server)
> >> - All about SSH
> >> - user & group administration
> >> - software installation and patching
> >>
> >> ? - basics of BIND
> >>
> >> Your suggestions?

A lot of the new Linux admins may also be web
designers and content people who are starting with
running a web site on a VPS, excuse me, "in the cloud"
if you want today's marketese for it.  So maybe "for
Windows users" is making it a little narrow--a lot
of the non-Linux web people no more Windows-aware
than I am.

Samba -- is that still a thing?  (I know it is, but
it seems like more and more places are using sharing
services such as Dropbox and Basecamp instead of
network drives.)

I would suggest something on "system explorastration"
-- figuring out what's running on the box and how
to turn it off if necessary.  Package manager and
nmap for sure, and at least enough git to follow
projects you're interested in using and keep track
of your notes and scripts.  Also, how to tell if your
system has systemd, upstart, or old-school init, and
where to go for more information on controlling them
(probably can't cover all three in one short class.)

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org