[Scale-planning] Tech: The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Stuart Sheldon stu at actusa.net
Tue Feb 25 10:49:17 PST 2014

A quick report from the Tech side of things...

What we managed to do right:

This year, the network came up, and with a little work with the hotel
and Level3 we were able to deliver an awesome internet experience for
attendees and exhibitors both.

Wireless seemed rock solid for the entire show, and the new IP names of
scale and scale-slow did exactly what they intended. This is the first
time I have ever seen any statistics that showed 5g being the primary
network of choice.

The registration network and self registration system delivered on
reliability and security this year. The use of Raspberry Pis for this
was once again a well executed implementation of inexpensive hardware.

The new Tech Stats sign outside of the NOC was a big hit as well this
year. I don't think I saw a time when at least one person wasn't looking
at it.

The new radios that Tom in A/V selected for this year for the most part
did exactly what we needed.

And there were the orange shirts... This year if you had a question
about anything related to SCaLE and couldn't find anyone to ask, you
must have been color blind. No one could miss us with the new Tech
shirts! Of all the feed back I got, I heard more positive comments from
attendees about the shirts than almost any other new thing we did this year!

What needs improvement:

I almost put this up in the successful list, but although it worked
flawlessly when someone called in, not many people did call in. This was
most likely due to two things, lack of advertising around the hotel and
the orange shirts eliminating many potential calls. I'm not sure what
this will eventually turn into, but I believe we will be re-inventing
this a bit for SCaLE 13x.

Configuration Management was a goal for this year that we just couldn't
fit into the short time we had left over for new things this year. I'm
hoping we can move toward completing this earlier in our work cycles.

Network Device Dependency is another thing that we need to do better.
Although I am used to tracking things down via standard documentation, I
am sure a visual representation of the network tree would be extremely
useful to others in the NOC. I'll personally take this on, but would
love input as well.

This year was awesome! We all worked as a team, and we all shared our
knowledge as a group. I hope everyone learned something this year, I
know I did!

Stu

- --
"Just remember, when you?re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed."
              -- Charles M. Schulz