[Scale-planning] Open Source in Education Track (was Re: About the Open Data Track)

der.hans verteiler+scale-planning at LuftHans.com
Fri Aug 5 07:06:00 UTC 2016

Am 01. Aug, 2016 schwätzte Caryl Bigenho so:

moin moin,

Some focus on [grand-]parents and students is great. Getting the PTA
excited about Free Software will get Free Software into the schools.

STEAM alongside TNG would be great. Perhaps target labs rather than
presentations.

In regards to continuing education credits, those are available and
popular for the science tracks at the Phoenix ComiCon. Perhaps San Diego
has them as well, so you might have a more local contact who is used to
running with this type of event.

ciao,

der.hans

> Hi Ilan,
> Why don't you let Kenneth Wyrick and I see if we can get this going? You have given us a list of things to work on below and we can get started right away with such things as whether Friday or Saturday would work best and how to get more educators to attend.* As I see it, an OSSIE track shouldn't be just for educators. With so many parents getting involved in the technology side of their children's education, things like the Khan Academy videos, Hour of Code and Scratch/ScratchJr are things that will have a wider audience than just professional educators.
> Caryl
> * Maybe we could get  a unit of college credit for folks who attend the entire OSSIE day and pay a small fee. Teachers can use this type of credit for professional development and, often, it can count toward increases in salary.
>
> From: ilan at socallinuxexpo.org
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 14:45:05 -0700
> To: scale-planning at lists.linuxfests.org; bala at socallinuxexpo.org
> Subject: [Scale-planning] Open Source in Education Track (was Re: About the Open Data Track)
>
> We haven't yet made a decision around OSSIE for this year, but as a track it has seen reduced attendance and submissions over the past few years. If we can come up with some concrete plans around what we'd want it to look like and discuss how we can get teachers to attend I'm sure we'd be happy to arrange space again.
> Another thing to keep in mind is we've gotten mixed feedback from teachers on what day to hold OSSIE on if we continue to do so. On the one hand we hear from many teachers they can't attend during the weekend as they have trouble getting the school district to give them a day off for the conference.  On the other hand, we also hear from them that they prefer to keep their weekends to themselves rather than for training.
>

> -Ilan
>

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I've been watching silently from afar (summer in Montana). It looks like everything is coming along well, except for one thing that seems to be entirely missing: OSSIE (Open Source Software In Education.)
> A few years back there was still a dedicated OSSIE track. Have you given up entirely on having one? If not, I'll be happy to volunteer to help organize, publicize, coordinate, and do what ever else needs to be done to make it happen.
> Just let me know!Caryl
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> On Aug 1, 2016, at 1:46 PM, Ilan Rabinovitch <ilan at socallinuxexpo.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Juan,
> [...]

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  "Communications without intelligence is noise;
#  Intelligence without communications is irrelevant."
#  Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC