[Scale-planning] Open Source in Education Track (was Re: About the Open Data Track)

der.hans verteiler+scale-planning at LuftHans.com
Fri Aug 5 07:14:42 UTC 2016

Am 02. Aug, 2016 schwätzte Joe Renzullo so:

moin moin Joe,

do you want to do a talk on how to run such a class or host a lab or yes?
:)

A friend also teaches a summer class for kids. I talk to him about his
graphics classes. He might also teach programming in the summer
curriculum. I know he teaches programming at the community college.

ciao,

der.hans

> Jumping in on this conversation - I'd be interested in proposing a talk for
> this track!
>
> This summer, I taught 60 students (ages 8-14) in a summer enrichment
> program how to program using Minecraft and Python. We ran code on Raspberry
> Pi systems, used Linux hosts for class-wide servers for the students to
> collaborate, and demonstrated how to interact with the game world and
> generate large structures by defining the basic geometric solids as
> functions that the students could use via a simple API.
>
> It was hugely successful, and I am working on curriculum based on it that I
> am in talks with my university (UNM in Albuquerque) to roll out to our
> CS4All teacher-training program.
>
> I can also inquire as to the (very good!) idea of getting teacher credits
> approved for conference attendance/participation. Several of my family
> members work in the Pasadena Unified School District, and I imagine that
> this would draw a great deal of interest from middle and high school
> teachers at the campuses which have STEM/STEAM programs.
>
> I also very much like the idea of broadening this to parents who are
> interested in resources for working with their own kids - about 10 of the
> families whose students I taught this summer have followed up with me
> post-program to ask for more information and "next steps" they can take
> with their kids.
>
> -Joe Renzullo
> PhD Student, Computer Science, University of New Mexico
> Software Engineer (Academic Part Time), JPL
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Ilan Rabinovitch <ilan at linuxfests.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if we'll have space for multiple rooms. Let's focus on
>> defining what we want this track to cover and where it compliments other
>> tracks like SCALE TNG.
>>
>> On Aug 2, 2016 1:16 PM, "Kenneth Wyrick" <kmw at caltek.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I like both of those suggestions. maybe 2 1/2 days and label it Open
>>> Source STEM/STEAM Education then maybe we could come up with some
>>> sub-categories i.e. project based, linked learning, etc.
>>>
>>> <quote who="Mx Siltanen">
>>> If teachers are unwilling to take a day off, and unwilling to burn a
>>> weekend day,
>>>
>>> How about a 1/2 day track on a Thur which runs late? It doesn't need to be
>>> a large room?
>>>
>>> Or perhaps we can rebrand the track and call it a Open Source STEM/STEAM
>>> education track for a day?

>>> --
>>> I???m moderate on extroversion.
>>> http://caltek.net

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
#  you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
#  I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
#  two ideas. -- George Bernard Shaw