[Scale-planning] This Week in SCALE - May 15 & 22

SCALE Planning List scale-planning at lists.linuxfests.org
Tue May 24 15:28:29 PDT 2016

Hello,

Apologies for skipping last week. With OSCON and other events some of us
found ourselves email challenged.

Please find notes below on the activities from the weeks ending 9/15 and
9/22.

Hope you all find these useful. We're open to feedback on frequency and
content.

Regards,

Ilan
EventsOSCON

OSCON took place this past week. SCALE exhibited in collaboration with
other LinuxFests.org events such as TXLF and SEAGL; as well as LinuxFest
NorthWest. We met with existing and prospective attendees, speakers and
sponsors. Two SCALE organizers presented sessions in the conference
program, Kyla Banks and Ilan Rabinovitch.
ISSA-LA Summit

ISSA LA held their 8th annual summit <https://summit.issala.org/> this past
week (May 19-20). This is the Los Angeles security community’s annual event
and get together.  Given our new security track last year we though it
would be a great place to recruit speakers for our call for papers as well
as network with the security community.   Matti Siltanen coordinated our
presence with support from Carlos Lopez, and Andy Seltzer.
Registration

Lei Zhang and the reg team have proposed some updates to our attendee
ticket pricing for SCALE 15x.  If you would like to provide feedback please
add comments in this github issue
<https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/SCALE-Planning/issues/192>. Our goal is
to finalize pricing by end of June so that we can launch registration.
TechINFRA Hacking

While we await selection of our final hosting provider we’ve continued to
make progress on modernizing our infrastructure automation. Several new
team members joined us for a hack session on Thursday night.  You can find
the remaining todo list on github:
https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/scale-chef/issues

Initial web and database tier automation are complete, including user
management. You can now provision our website and relevant database locally
via Vagrant and Chef. More progress is expected soon around testing
workflows, documentation, and additional features.

We expect there will be a few more hack nights to wrap up remaining
services such as mailman, phpList, etc. If you’d like to participate join
us in #infra on slack or email bala at socallinuxexpo.org for details.
VOIP and Telephony

We’ve decided to continue with moving to the hosted solution by Teliax for
our telephony needs.  We expect to complete the migration by end of May.
We could use some help with recording the prompts, so if you think you have
a good voice for IVRs reach out to ilan at socallinuxexpo.org and
bala at socallinuxexpo.org

SSL Certs

Most of our SSL certs expire on 6/23. We'll need to renew them in the next
few weeks. There is a ticket to track this in Github.
GitHub Orgs

Over the years various SCALE teams had created their own github
organizations (socallinuxexpo, scale-tech, scale-av, etc), in the last
couple of years most of the content from these migrated to our organization
socallinuxexpo rather than the team specific orgs. This week we migrated
the last of the repos, and shuttered scale-tech and scale-av github orgs.
If as part of the move you have lost access to a repo please reach out to
Ilan or Bala for assistance.
Monitoring

Learning from our friends at DevOpsDay LA we know metrics and sharing are
both critical to success, so one of our goal this year to ensure we have
monitoring in place, and easily accessible by all team members.  To support
this we have received offers of donated services from Datadog, New Relic,
and a few others for use in our monitoring needs.  See the relevant github
tickets for updates.
Other Projects

We have a number of other pending infra projects. If you’d like to
participate please check our issue
<https://github.com/socallinuxexpo/scale-planning/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AINFRA>
queue for other areas you can lend a hand.
Other LinuxFests ProgramsCommunity Leadership Summit

LinuxFests’s newest member program, the Community Leadership Summit
<http://www.communityleadershipsummit.com> was held las weekend.  We had
over 200 attendees join us for two full days of presentations and
discussions around community management.  Notes from the unconference
portions of the sessions are available at:
http://communityleadershipforum.com/