[Scale-planning] wifi SSID WAS Re: Signage

Zach Underwood zunder1990 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 13:02:39 UTC 2017

This year we had 4 SSID, public 5ghz, public 2.4ghz, staff 5ghz, staff
2.4ghz. I think that we could drop the staff 2.4ghz and only use the the
staff 5ghz one since staff(noc and AV only) for the most part have newer
devices that support 5ghz. As for as hiding staff SSID that is a waste of
time, I dont think many, if any of the public was thinking they needed to
join to the staff network. At some point you cant fix stupid.

I think the biggest problem with SSID was the amount of non SCALE ssid
showing up, where this was the biggest problem was on the expo floor where
at any given time there was 20+ SSIDs.

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 1:56 AM, Lori Barfield <itdirector at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:58 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Mar 2017, Lei Zhang wrote:
>>>

>>> 1) What is the WiFi password? We eventually put up a shirt with the
>>> password on it.
>>> 2) Which WiFi do I connect to? There were several SSIDs with SCALE in
>>> the name.
>>>

>> IMHO, the only SSIDs that should be visible are the ones we intend people
>> to connect to. In the past the others were hidden.
>

> there is so much wisdom to this suggestion.
>
> 3) Where is Ballroom X? (GH especially)
>>> 4) Where is Room NNN?
>>>

>> having a map of the buildings as part of the signage rotation would
>> probably be a good thing.
>>  Is it worth enough to loose 1/3 of the horizontal space to have a map up
>> all the time (rotating between the two buildings) while the schedule
>> rotation scrolls by on the rest of the screen?
>

> if we could somehow have a "You are here" spot, that would be perfect.
>

>> 5) What are the expo hall hours? (Usually when it's not open yet) Or a
>>> similar question from exhibitors for when they can go in for set up.
>>>

>> similar issues as to when game night opens
>>

> maybe have one extra sign on an easel at registration, with these three
> schedules?  i can't tell you how many times i saw someone running back to
> the welcome gate to read the expo hours.  by the time we think to ask the
> question, we're already at the expo doors.
>
> ...lori

Zach Underwood (RHCE,RHCSA,RHCT,UACA)
My website <http://zachunderwood.me>
advance-networking.com