[Scale-planning] SCALE 101 / helping new attendees

Marina King marinaking at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 16:47:19 UTC 2017

The one thing I really wanted to go to but couldn't figure out when it was,
is UpScale. This activity had been moved from its traditional time of
Friday night and I could never figure out when or where it was. It needed
more publicity this year. It's always been one of my highlights and can be
such an enjoyable experience. I hope next year we put it back in the
limelight...

Marina

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:51 AM, Phil Dibowitz <phil at ipom.com> wrote:

> On 03/09/2017 09:37 PM, Lei Zhang wrote:
> > In another thread, Chris Smith said "A recurring theme I observed this
> > year with people new to SCALE was that they weren't as aware of
> > SCALE's offerings as one might hope."
> >
> > Should we make a "new to SCALE" guide on the website and link to it in
> > the registration emails?
> >
> > Should we take 1-2 pages near the front of the printed program and put
> > the "new to SCALE" guide there?
> >
> > Did anyone go to the SCALE 101 talk? [1] Was it useful? Should we have
> > held it on Friday, instead or ran a second session on Friday?
>

> Gonna answer these in reverse.
>
> The SCALE 101 talk, like last year, was not well attended (about 15 people,
> including those that filtered in late), but the panel / Q&A portion was
> incredibly interactive, nearly everyone asked questions or commented, and
> nearly all of them either stayed late to thank me or found me later to do
> so.
>
> Ilan had a suggestion that we do this between the keynote and the first
> session, in the keynote room. It's a good suggestion, but we'd probably
> have
> to move the keynote slightly earlier to account for the panel, which I
> think
> is the magic of it all (since I think the breaks are only half hour).
>
> This would I think be more useful than stuff in the program which people
> don't
> read as it is.
>
> --
> Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
> Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica
> http://www.phildev.net/                   http://www.ipom.com/
>
> "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
>  and those who matter don't mind."
>  - Dr. Seuss

*Marina King*
*1st VP - Leadership*
*SB Area Council of PTAs and*

*15th District County PTA(805) 696-3424*
*www.sbpta.org <http://www.sbpta.org>*
*Facebook page: sbpta*