[Scale-planning] talk_deadline++

der.hans verteiler+scale-planning at LuftHans.com
Sat Nov 3 06:03:48 UTC 2018

Am 02. Nov, 2018 schwätzte Lan Dang so:

> I agree that Halloween is not the ideal deadline.  Although I had submitted
> my proposals earlier in the week, I'd meant to edit it more, but got
> distracted.  Would 11/1 have made that much of a difference?
>
> I do prefer having having a confirmed list of speakers and presentations
> when I try to evangelize SCALE attendance at work.  We have to forecast for
> conferences 3 months in advance, so showing the list of speakers and
> presentations could push someone into attending or having their managers
> approve attendance.
>
> We promoted SCALE and the CFP at the SGVTech Open House.  I happened to
> have old SCALE programs on hand, so that was useful.  I'll think twice
> about tossing them now.
>
> I had to field some questions from people I had recruited, who were worried
> about actually having to submit a paper and weren't sure which track to

Admittedly, that one gets me as well. Many of my talks would be
appropriate for multiple tracks, depending on what the track wants.
Granted, they might all agree to reject them :)

> sign up for.  Since I'd had experience applying and speaking at SCALE

I've been offering to help people with their proposals for years. I
believe my assistance has gotten better as I've gotten feedback during
SeaGL's proposal office hours on my own proposals.

> before, I told them it was just a short and long abstract for the talk they
> wanted to give and maybe a note to the reviewers with links to websites or
> previous talks.

I do usually forget to add links to previous presentations. Wish you'd
mentioned that last week :)

ciao,

der.hans

> Lan
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM Mx Siltanen <mrsiltanen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> The longer we wait the more nebulous the conference is to first time
>> attendees and exhibitors we want to reach.
>>
>> I have encountered this often when promoting SCALE - showing first timers
>> the past year's schedule has been very useful.
>>
>> imho - Having a short video summarizing SCALE to potential exhibitors,
>> sponsors, and attendees would be useful for this. Does not need to be long
>> just a couple minutes showing some highlights of the past year's sessions,
>> expo floor, ... we could use something along this line to help convey the
>> message of what SCALE is.
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:12 PM Ilan Rabinovitch <ilan at socallinuxexpo.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We need to be able to announce sessions earlier so as to allow for proper
>>> promotion to attendees, and more importantly to allow speakers to book
>>> reasonably priced travel. The longer we wait the more nebulous the
>>> conference is to first time attendees and exhibitors we want to reach.

#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  The key to making programs fast is to make them do practically
#  nothing. ;-) -- Mike Haertel, 2011Aug21