[Scale-planning] Hands-on activities in the Expo hall?

Lori Barfield itdirector at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 12:47:29 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018, 22:44 Lan Dang <ldangmlist at gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
> I envisioned space at the other end of the Expo hall with a few large
> round tables with power and either reliable wifi or wired connections.
>  Maybe access to loaner computers and hardware like Arduinos, so things can
> be set up ahead of time.
>
> The adult-friendly activities should be fun or valuable enough to lure
> people into the expo hall, but not require such a time commitment that
> they'd need to make a choice about whether to attend a talk.   The key
> would be that the activities are something people could just stop by,
> participate, and leave.

i love this idea!  keep in mind it's a bigger challenge to staff an
activity zone all day long instead of at a specific time.  we'd probably
want to time slice the areas to avoid inevitable empty intervals.

Ideas for activities: Scratch programming. Resume clinic.  Lockpicking.
> Linux clinic.  Learn something with Jupyter Notebooks. Learn how to
> solder.  Making LED flowers or wearable electronics.  A brief primer on
> securing data privacy.  How to get started with GitHub.   Vim Adventures.
> Maybe VR or AR experiences.

these are great ideas.  RaiseMe is in, if we want a career development
activity like resume review.

I recently had fun with JavaScript with this activity:
> https://codeclubprojects.org/en-GB/webdev/pixel-art/
>
> It'd be even better if we can pull in participation from the sponsor
> booths.

i know sponsors sometimes feel constrained by the small booth area, and
wonder how much they might enjoy free space elsewhere for oddball demos.

...lori