[Scale-volunteers] SCaLE 7 disability access issues

Chris Louden chris at chrislouden.com
Mon Mar 2 16:22:11 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Bill Zuke <wzuke at lafn.org> wrote:
> There were very few people with a visible disability at SCaLE this time.
> I know a couple of participants who are interested is disability issues,
> and I suspect there may be many others.  I would like to see more focus
> on giving handicapped or disabled people access to the internet via open
> source, so I intend to help do some "outreach" during this year.  I had
> a very good time.
>        The handicapped parking was adequate, but could be overloaded if there
> were to be a high attendance by wheelchair toting special vehicles.
> Such an overload (if it were to occur) could be averted if invitations
> asked people to indicate their special needs.  I have seen hotels put up
> temporary signs for handicapped parking, when necessary.  People who
> need high ceiling clearance or extra wide spaces could be asked to
> notify the hotel in advance; and such participants could be requested to
> leave the large spaces open if one can get by in a low ceiling or
> regular width parking space.
>        I did not thoroughly research the hotel guest room accommodations for
> handicap access.  Hotel food vendors do not always consider allergies

My friends and I stayed in a room that was handicap accessible. It
easily had an additional 150-200 sq ft of additional space compared to
the regular 2 bed room. Shower was equiped so that a wheelchair could
roll right into it. Closet had low and high hangers. The entire room
was very accessible. Space between the beds was noticeably large,
etc..

> and special diet.  I saw an employee change the water bottle and load
> ice, and consequently I would not drink it.  Restroom (for men) did
> stink, for apparent lack of adequate air conditioning.  The restroom
> doors were a bit heavy to open; pressure could be adjusted, if

The ground floor was pretty nasty, but the conference room level was
considerably nicer and I noticed the doors were easier to open. I
slammed it open the first time expecting it to be heavier