[Scale-planning] Open Source in Education Track at SCALE 6x

Tim Frichtel tfrichtel at socal.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 00:44:47 PST 2007

Orv and I talked about possibly having a track dedicated to Open Source
in Education at the next SCALE.

Here are some initial thoughts, I hope this isn't too long.

Tim Frichtel

“Education Day” at SCALE 6x

* Key topics for Educators:
* * Software that can be used in classroom and at home
* * General purpose software (OO.org, Gimp, N|Vu, Inkscape, Scribus,
Jashaka?)
* * Educational software (GeoGebra, TuxMath, TuxType)
* * “Web 2.0” -- blogging (Wordpress) and wikis (Mediawiki)
* * Possibly programming – Logo, Python, PHP, Java etc.

* Software for school management
* * Moodle - this is a no-brainer! Great tool, lots of success stories,
solves a real need.
* * SugarCRM - seemingly odd, but for private schools, managing donors,
tuition etc is a logistical challenge
* * Content Management System - Joomla, Plone etc - show how schools can
have a great, up-to-date website with minimal web building skills
* * Possibly OpenLDAP for managing authentication in large schools
(possibly too narrowly technical)

* Benefits/Risks of Open Source
* Successfully migrating to Open Source
* How to get Support
* * Books, websites, resources for _non-tech_ users

How to get Educators and Administrators to attend:
* Position the presentations as ways to get great software into
curriculum. I don't think putting the emphasis on free, freedom, or it
isn't Microsoft/Apple will be a strong pull.

* Focus on how this is a great continuing-development opportunity for
teachers/administrators. Schools actively look for ways to offer
development to their staff. This is usually focused on things that get
continuing ed credit, as these help credentialed teachers maintain their
credentials, but the lack of college credit may not be a deal killer.

* Offer practical labs. Logistically, this would be challenging, but if
the conference rooms are big enough, we should be able to use LTSP
setups that will provide a great environment for working with Open
Office, Blogging, etc. It might be possible to get HP (who has a big
K-12 sell) and/or Dell, IMB etc to provide some equipment. Maybe
Linspire, Novell or RedHat would be willing to chip in. They don't need
to provide much. For instance, HP could provide thin clients and LCDs,
with Linspire providing giveaway software. Failing that, we might be
able to get used equipment resellers (who often market to schools) to
loan us equipment. Old laptops can make decent thin clients, or can run
Knoppix, livekiosk etc. If you look at Educational Computer shows like
CUE (www.cue.org) the hands-on sessions for editing photos, web pages,
blogging, podcasting etc are always packed.

* Provide practical "take-aways". Giving out an Open CD or a Ubuntu disk
is nice, but if a short document with some tips on getting started and
using the software in the classroom could be passed out as well, I think
that would be a lot better. Maybe something like "10 Great Creative
Writing projects with Blogs" or "Key features for creating research
papers with Open Office Writer" or "Demonstrating Geometry fundamentals
with GeoGebra".

* Get speakers who are educators and have success stories to tell. A bio
that states an experienced teacher is using Linux | Moodle | GIMP etc is
a much stronger draw than just talking about how great the software is
and what _might_ be done with it. There are some great success stories,
here are few I've heard of:
- Riverdale High School in Oregon (http://k12ltsp.org/rhs_casestudy.html)
- Indiana Schools:
http://www.doe.state.in.us/INaccess/pdf/inACCESS_readiness-assessment.pdf