[Scale-planning] next year's ballroom bash

Ken scalezz at kemasa.com
Fri Mar 18 08:53:03 PDT 2011

On Thursday 17 March 2011, Lori Barfield wrote:
> i like this idea.  perhaps if we do any raffles, however, we shouldn't
> announce that ahead of time.

It depends. The reason I mentioned it is to get people there. Once you get
people there, they will participate in the various games there. Yes, there
are some that will come just for the raffle, but if you spread it out, those
people will either play or leave. The reason for it is to draw people in, the
other things to do in the room will keep them there (at least some).

> at the wrapup meeting of the Chairs, we
> talked about the advantages and disadvantages of doing raffles in a
> room with other activities.  one downside is that the room becomes
> crowded with people who are only there to get prizes, and aren't
> participating.  we found that during Weakest Geek this year, people on
> the perimeter were doing their own thing and talking loudly over the
> action on stage, making it hard to hear.

Yes, in that case a raffle should not be in that room. In a game room, it is
different. The raffle and other activity has to be compatible.

> thanks for the suggestion.  more to follow, i hope. :-)  and thanks
> for the support this year, kemasa.

You are welcome.

--

						 K.