[Scale-planning] SCALE 2008 postmortem?

Dave Roberts dave at vyatta.com
Wed Feb 13 09:11:39 PST 2008

> I was looking around at the scale site for a place to add
> comments about the event. I found none, so I decided to post
> on the scale list.

I was going to send an email to this list this week, so this is good
timing.

The only thing that was a problem from my point of view was the badge
scanning. That was simply hopeless, and almost comically so. It did
provide a bit of levity and you would think that people won the lottery
from everybody's reaction when the scanner actually did work. Even on
Sunday when things were supposedly corrected, most badges didn't scan.

With that one hiccup, I thought the event was otherwise EXCELLENT. I told
this to several SCALE volunteers that I saw in person, but let me go on
record publicly saying that this was one of the more well-organized
conferences I have ever participated in, bar none. This is all the more
remarkable because it was organized by volunteers and not by a large,
full-time staff.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the volunteers who made this
happen. You did a wonderful job and I heard nothing but positive comments.
(Well, between the "Why the *&@*! won't this badge scan??" comments. ;-) I
know this was hard work, but you managed all the details and made it
relatively painless for those of us who participated. We'll definitely be
coming next year.

Cheers,

-- Dave

----
Dave Roberts
Vice-President, Strategy
Vyatta, Inc.
Email: dave at vyatta.com
Direct: 650-413-7248
Welcome to the dawn of open-source networking.