[Scale-planning] SCALE 2008 postmortem?

Lei Zhang leiz at linux.ucla.edu
Wed Feb 13 10:11:58 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 09:11:39AM -0800, Dave Roberts wrote:
> > I was looking around at the scale site for a place to add
> > comments about the event. I found none, so I decided to post
> > on the scale list.
>
> I was going to send an email to this list this week, so this is good
> timing.
>
> The only thing that was a problem from my point of view was the badge
> scanning. That was simply hopeless, and almost comically so. It did
> provide a bit of levity and you would think that people won the lottery
> from everybody's reaction when the scanner actually did work. Even on
> Sunday when things were supposedly corrected, most badges didn't scan.

We'll definitely look into this issue and improve it for next year. The
main problem was that the toner didn't stick well to the badge stock. We
had 8 identical models of the same printer, yet only 3 did a decent job
of printing. We gave a stack of extra badge stock to the printer vendor,
perhaps they'll do a post-show analysis.

Then there's problems with lighting conditions and reflection from the
plastic badge holder. We will do some research on this and try to get
some other brands of scanners to try out. If anyone is an expert on this
area, feel free to contact me with suggestions.

- Lei