[Scale-planning] Did you like having SCALE t-shirt pick up on the expo floor?

Mx Siltanen mrsiltanen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 18:06:47 UTC 2017

Hi,

Sorry if you feel like people are treated like cattle at SCaLE, they are
not, nor is it our intention.

It is critical that attendees know that a good solid expo exists, and that
they visit it.

Sponsors(*) are why we are able to hold this event.
We have to find good options which allow them to find good value for
participating in SCaLE.

One of those options is ensuring that those interested in their offerings
and/or job opportunities connect with those sponsors on the expo floor.
Furthermore being on the show floor is also a branding opportunity for
companies to show the community their support, and just having attendees
notice their presence on the floor helps.

Having distribution of T-shirts helps increase the visibility the expo
floor and those who are participating with booths ( both sponsored and
community booths ).  It helps us all by helping make the expo more active
and increasing visibility of those participating in the expo. It helps the
attendees see that we have a number of active community groups
participating on the expo floor which have regular meetings and events
which they are welcome to participate in.

There is a tremendous value on the expo floor for both the attendees and
sponsors with booths. Also there are great opportunities if you run a local
LUG / meetup to find potential presenters and facilities / food and drink
sponsors as well as inviting more people to attend your group's events. It
is also a great opportunity for LUGs and meetup groups to connect with each
other and help support other community events ( such as Big Data Day LA, So
Cal Code Camp ( LA and San Diego ), ISSA LA Summit, OWASP App Sec Cali,
Drupal Camp LA, Hackaday events, L1, .. ) .

Thus increasing traffic and visibility of the expo is it not a waste of
time, nor is it just nice -it is a CRITICAL INVESTMENT in the future of
SCaLE and the community which we support.

Thank You

( * -   Large companies and each person who purchases a ticket are
sponsoring financially. Without larger sponsors the ticket prices would
have to go up significantly, as well as policing efforts to minimize free
riders. )

"While it is nice to encourage people to the expo floor, forcing them to go
in
order to get the shirt seems much like treating them like cattle. It is also
wasting their time, which I personally think is unacceptable. Also, there is
limited times in which the expo floor is open, which limits when people can
go and it also means that a person who only makes it on Thursday does not
get
a shirt."