[Scale-planning] talk_deadline++

der.hans verteiler+scale-planning at LuftHans.com
Sat Nov 3 05:55:45 UTC 2018

Am 02. Nov, 2018 schwätzte Mx Siltanen so:

moin moin,

Is there room for invited talks? Or perhaps a local events track?

I think we have a good variety of tracks. We also get great presentations
and I'm glad to see newish speakers get the opportunity. So, from a
topics perspective, I don't see a need to wait and hope for more
participation. I also mostly don't see what proposals we get, so it might
just be lack of knowledge on my part :).

Even though I'm not local, I do see the advantage of working with local
groups and events. That's one of the reasons I love that a couple of the
local user groups meet at SCaLE Thursday night rather than their normal
location.

Do we track people we've run into that we'd like to see submit a proposal
and send them invites?

I'm pretty certain Matti does some of that. I am very certain I'm bad at
that :(.

Still, the last couple years I have done so and know that got us some
proposals. At least two have been accepted :).

Thanks to those who are about to slog through all the proposals! We
appreciate your work. We also benefit from it :).

ciao,

der.hans

> imho
>
> It would be very nice to have the deadline after some of the local events -
> like Hackaday supercon ( this weekend, 1st weekend of Nov. ) - where we can
> encourage those we meet there to post a presentation.
>
> If we can do it even later - then we can promote the close of CFP at So Cal
> Code Camp LA - typically mid-November.
>
> Closing it after either event imho would help us recruit presenters we may
> see at those events.
>
> Of course, the other option is to close sooner than those events ( like we
> did this year ) - and allow an exception if we see some good presentations
> worth inviting.
>
> Thank You
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 8:00 PM Ilan Rabinovitch <ilan at socallinuxexpo.org>
> wrote:
>
>> We can move it earlier, if we can announce it earlier.  Later makes review
>> very difficult with the holidays.
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 6:44 PM der.hans <
>> verteiler+scale-planning at lufthans.com> wrote:
>>
>>> moin moin,
>>>
>>> can we push the deadline back a day for SCaLE18x?
>>>
>>> Having the deadline on Halloween makes it difficult to finish last minute
>>> reviews and proposals for many of us.
>>>
>>> Hope everyone had a great Halloween :).
>>>
>>> ciao,
>>>
>>> der.hans
>>> --
>>> #  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
>>> #  Strangers are friends just waiting to happen!

#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  Your email is being read by hundreds of uptight agents
#  who never saw the humor in Dr. Strangelove. -- Mark Russell