[Scale-planning] SCaLE AV setup

der.hans Verteiler+scale-planning at LuftHans.com
Fri Aug 30 05:51:34 UTC 2019

Am 29. Aug, 2019 schwätzte Zach Underwood so:

moin moin Zach,

Thanks for responding! Hadn't looked into how to contact SouthEast Linux
Fest, but am happy I got information :).

> I can tell you what we did for the SouthEast Linux Fest,  We fully
> automated the recording the of the talks and other services. It built
> around mysql database with every session's speaker, talk description,

I really like the idea of automagically patching in the schedule! SeaGL
won't get that this year, but I'm certain we'll talk about it as a goal
for next year.

> start/stop time and other details. We then used Node-Red as the automation
> engine. Below are all of the services we ran.
>
> *Recording the talks*
> Node red would look in the database for when a session would start. At
> start time node-red would call a python script that would connect to a
> laptop running OBS using websockets in each room. This python script would
> start OBS recording, OBS would then start to save the new video file to an
> NFS share. Node red would get the filename of the new video and save it to
> the database. When the session time would end the python script would get
> called again to stop OBS on time. Node-red would then take the video file
> and upload the video to youtube. Node red would also pull the speaker's
> name and session details to push that into the youtube video.  Here is
> example of this years video https://youtu.be/eFNsEpwpRek

And a topic that will interest spouse!

> *OBS setup*
> We ran OBS on a laptop in each room. The laptop had connected to
> it Magewell hdmi usb capture device and a Behringer U-Control UCA202, we
> then used a poe camera to provide the picture in picture of the speaker.
> The picture in picture and adding of the sponsor logos was all done in real
> time with OBS. We had no post processing.

Our person has gotten post processing down quite a bit. He still wants to
edit talks for a couple reasons.

> *Speaker Lights*
> We built a small devices based on the esp8266  arduino board. This speaker
> connect to a mqtt server and listen for commands from node-red. Node red
> would tell the speaker light to flash one of 3 led or turn on/off one of
> the leds. This would give the speaker a heads up when the recording was
> about to start or stop and a few other heads up.

Cool. Feature request: a small display with time for the speaker :).

> *People counting*
> We placed a camera over each doorway leading to a session room, this camera
> would be point looking straight down as people walked into each room. We
> then connected the camera to camlytics a software that would count people
> entering the room. Node red would then pull the total people in a given
> talk using camlytics's API.

Fun :).

> *vote boxes*
> We placed a box at the exit of each session room with 3 button: loved the
> talk, neutral or hated the talk. The box was powered with PIs but we will
> be moved those to esp8266 for 2020. The boxes would connect to mqtt to
> report the votes. Node red would see the vote come into mqtt and update the
> database.

That's pretty cool.

> If you are interested I can put together more detailed docs and config
> files.

That's a great start! SELF should definitely write some articles on the
setup. I can help with that if you'd like.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 9:28 PM der.hans <
> verteiler+scale-planning at lufthans.com> wrote:
>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> Do we have any public postings or presentations that describe how SCaLE
>> does session recording and streaming?
>>
>> I'm working with the SeaGL AV team to improve the recording setup. As part
>> of that I'm surveying conferences I'm familiar with. The goal is to
>> blog about what other conferences are doing and apply what we can to
>> SeaGL's setup.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> #  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
>> #  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...

#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  Data restorals via Freedom of Information Act requests.