[Scale-planning] SCaLE AV setup

Zach Underwood zunder1990 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:06:14 UTC 2019

I can tell you what we did for the SouthEast Linux Fest,  We fully
automated the recording the of the talks and other services. It built
around mysql database with every session's speaker, talk description,
start/stop time and other details. We then used Node-Red as the automation
engine. Below are all of the services we ran.

*Recording the talks*
Node red would look in the database for when a session would start. At
start time node-red would call a python script that would connect to a
laptop running OBS using websockets in each room. This python script would
start OBS recording, OBS would then start to save the new video file to an
NFS share. Node red would get the filename of the new video and save it to
the database. When the session time would end the python script would get
called again to stop OBS on time. Node-red would then take the video file
and upload the video to youtube. Node red would also pull the speaker's
name and session details to push that into the youtube video.  Here is
example of this years video https://youtu.be/eFNsEpwpRek

*OBS setup*
We ran OBS on a laptop in each room. The laptop had connected to
it Magewell hdmi usb capture device and a Behringer U-Control UCA202, we
then used a poe camera to provide the picture in picture of the speaker.
The picture in picture and adding of the sponsor logos was all done in real
time with OBS. We had no post processing.

*Speaker Lights*
We built a small devices based on the esp8266  arduino board. This speaker
connect to a mqtt server and listen for commands from node-red. Node red
would tell the speaker light to flash one of 3 led or turn on/off one of
the leds. This would give the speaker a heads up when the recording was
about to start or stop and a few other heads up.

*People counting*
We placed a camera over each doorway leading to a session room, this camera
would be point looking straight down as people walked into each room. We
then connected the camera to camlytics a software that would count people
entering the room. Node red would then pull the total people in a given
talk using camlytics's API.

*vote boxes*
We placed a box at the exit of each session room with 3 button: loved the
talk, neutral or hated the talk. The box was powered with PIs but we will
be moved those to esp8266 for 2020. The boxes would connect to mqtt to
report the votes. Node red would see the vote come into mqtt and update the
database.

If you are interested I can put together more detailed docs and config
files.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 9:28 PM der.hans <
verteiler+scale-planning at lufthans.com> wrote:

> moin moin,
>
> Do we have any public postings or presentations that describe how SCaLE
> does session recording and streaming?
>
> I'm working with the SeaGL AV team to improve the recording setup. As part
> of that I'm surveying conferences I'm familiar with. The goal is to
> blog about what other conferences are doing and apply what we can to
> SeaGL's setup.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
> #  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...

Zach Underwood (RHCE,RHCSA,RHCT,UACA)
My website <http://zachunderwood.me>
advance-networking.com